Senior Program Specialist (Surveillance)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2018- 059
Series/Grade: 0550/ FSN-11 /FS-04
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
The work schedule for this position is:
Full time (40 hours per week)
- Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Security Clearance Required: FSN Security Clearance
- The incumbent under the supervision of the Lead, Epidemiology and Surveillance Team coordinates and manages assigned survey and disease surveillance activities in country.
- These include the design of routine disease surveillance system with the Ministry of Health (MOH), and the conduct of large, complex surveys designed to measure HIV prevalence and other indicator of importance to evaluating the impact of
- HIV control programs.
- S/he provides technical or managerial oversight include the MOH, national universities, and International NGOs and private sector partners.
- The incumbent will participate in the PEPFAR Strategic Information (SI) Technical Working Group (TWG) to ensure that surveillance systems are meeting the needs of the national HIV/AIDS Program in Nigeria and that PEPFAR Nigeria program priorities are developed.
- Additionally, s/he works in cooperation with GoN staff at all levels of government to apply case-reporting procedures, sentinel surveillance, and populationbased surveillance methodologies to ensure that PEPFAR’s program’s objectives are met.
- S/he plays an active leadership role in the Mission’s PEPFAR Technical Working Groups (TWG) and/or the Multisector
- Technical Groups.
Qualifications and Evaluations Education:
- Medical Degree (MBBS/BMBch) or Master’s Degree in public health, medicine, epidemiology, or demography is required.
- Requirements:Experience:Seven (7) years public health experience in the management and development of
- epidemiological surveillance and /or large scale surveys of HIV/AIDS or other disease programs are required, inclusive of one year of experience at the managerial level is required.
- Job Knowledge:Must have detailed knowledge of research methods and the collection, analysis and presentation of public health/epidemiologic data in order to plan, design, direct the implementation of and strengthen procedures for collection, analysis and dissemination of HIV/AIDS epidemiological data.
This includes knowledge of the principles, theories and practices of USG and internationally recognized standards for surveillance and survey regulations and procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of the host government health care system and structures including familiarity with Ministry of
- Health policies, program priorities and regulations is required.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multidisciplinary project teams and activities, as well as good working knowledge of overall administrative requirements in development and support of grants, contracts, memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is required.
- Language: Level IV (fluency) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Skills and Abilities:Strong analytical skills to readily understand and discuss new surveillance program design, management, and implementation approaches are required.
- This include the development of evaluation designs, use of reliable and valid instruments, and methods for data collection, analysis and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with national and international working partners and to prepare substantive and analytical reporting.
- Strong management skills are required to operate independently with limited direct supervision of day-to-day activities and to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups.
- Excellent overall computer skills (keyboarding with both speed and accuracy) and advanced skill levels in use of at least one of the more common epidemiologic data analysis software (EPINFO, STATA, SAS, OR SPSS), as well as excellent numerical skills for manipulating and reporting statistical data is required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
AEFM / USEFM
FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights.
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
The character of service
Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN14,104,381 / USD 55,929.
Application Closing Date
13th September, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit their Applications with the required documentation listed below:
Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
Degree (not transcript)
NYSC and other Certificates and Licenses
DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: [email protected]
NoteApplicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email. Please provide a valid email address and be sure to check your email regularly during this recruitment process.
Who May Apply: All Interested / All Sources. FS-5/5 is USD 51,007 / LE is NGN 11,335,349. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C